Monday, August 22, 2011

The last year begins

Today begins my last year of law school. I'm hoping this one will be slightly easier than the last two, but I really know better. It will be hard, in a different way than the other years have been. I'll be doing a Battered Women's clinical and a bar prep course, that basically means I have a 6-day-a-week schedule. I'm actually moving this time, up to Cambridge. Because my step-son isn't on the Cape, I'll be closing up the house and bringing the cat and plants with me. I'll be back on the merry-go-round of too much caffeine, too little sleep, and really bad food.

The good part is that I have a paying gig this year, clerking for an attorney in Boston. It's interesting work, and he and I get along very well, so that makes it less like work. Living closer to school will also make it easier for me to get the rest I need, and will save wear and tear on my car. It will also mean that I'm less reliant on my car, so if it craps out, I can still get to school. If the weather is bad, I can still get to school. Fewer excuses = fewer absences from class = (I fervently hope!) higher grades.

I'm looking forward to my last year, despite the drawbacks I listed above. It's geeky fun, I have some wonderful friends, and a new and familiar place to live, which is always fun for me. The moving sucks, but the newness is nice.

I set my year up as best I could with a wonderful, relaxing visit to my son and daughter-in-law, in south Jersey. They are great people, and I always enjoy visiting with them. We mostly sat around and talked with each other, which is so wonderful. No racing around, no place to be, just enjoying each other's company. Perfect. Oh, and a good long nap every day. Just what I needed.

Off and running again!

No comments: