Saturday, August 13, 2011

Life has its turns, doesn't it?

My step-son went back to jail last night. The short version, and the only version I'll put on the web, is that he violated his parole and was taken back to jail. That sucks. No other word for it. It sucks. He was upset, I was upset, his sister, my mother, all of us were upset at this development.

Now for the heartwarming part of the story. I spent last night and this morning on the phone and email, letting the family know. I talked with my step-daughter, his sister, for a long time, and we're at peace, knowing we did all we could for him. I went to see my mother, to tell her in person, and talked with her a long time. She, too, helped where she could, and is at peace with what she was able to do for him. I talked with my son, who also held me up, and with my significant other, who did the same. What I find so heartwarming is that I have so many people to turn to for support. I haven't even scratched the surface - I've only talked with immediate family so far, including my sisters. One sister called me this morning to say how sorry she is at this turn of events. We had a wonderful talk. Today, I'll start calling the friends who need to know. I expect the same reaction from them - sadness at his relapse, support for me, encouragement in whatever path I choose to take next.

I'm counting my blessings this morning. Despite the heart-soreness I'm feeling (the only description I can come up with), I have so much support and love in my life, that I really do feel blessed.

At least now, if he goes back to court, I know what the process will consist of. A slight benefit of studying law.

No comments: