Friday, September 16, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY

Outside my window ... people are getting ready to start their day. Children are heading to the school down the street, cars are starting up, birds are waking up in the tree outside the window, and, since it's Friday, people are bringing their garbage and recycling to the curb.

I am thinking ... about all those who don't have the blessings I do. I pass homeless people every day on my way into school and work, begging, holding out their coffee cups, rattling the change in them, hoping for charity from a stranger. Some are angry, some are cheerful, some are sneaky (hold the door for me when I enter the store, then ask if I can give them some change on the way out). I feel bad when I can't (or won't) give them anything, since I'm so blessed. I also know that giving them money is not necessarily a good thing.

I am thankful ... that I have the life I have. Somewhere to live (two places, if you count the rented apartment near school), something interesting to do with my days, friends who sustain me, family that I love and who love me, plenty of food, warm clothes.

In the kitchen ... coffee is hot and fragrant, and oatmeal is waiting for my breakfast.

I am wearing ... a pink sleeveless sundress I threw on so I could bring my own garbage out to the curb. Not the best choice - it's in the 50s outside - but I was only out for a few minutes.

I am creating ... knitted things. A purple Wool Peddler's Shawl, finishing up my Lady Eleanor shawl, thinking about starting another pair of wool socks for the winter, planning more hats, scarves, mittens, socks as Christmas gifts. With fall comes more knitting!

I am going ... to the Cape for the weekend, to get more winter clothes, yarn, and knitting projects. Then I'm thinking of doing something fun this weekend. Museum of Science? Museum of Fine Arts? Quincy Market, to drink coffee and people watch? So many possibilities!

I am wondering ... how my son and daughter-in-law are doing. I wish I lived closer to them so I could see them more often.

I am reading ... cases and treatises on Assisted Reproductive Technology, Bargaining for Advantage, and Flowers on Main by Sherryl Woods.

I am hoping ... to finish all my school stuff tonight, so I can have a relaxing weekend.

I am looking ... forward to football on Sunday! I love football.

I am hearing ... birds in the trees outside the house, cars going by, the bus every 20 minutes, and the garbage truck on the next block.

Around the house ... my cat is settling into the new place, and I am settling in after moving for the first time in 17 years.

One of my favorite things ... is to sleep in on my days off. I wish I could.

A few plans for the rest of the week ...: Charlestown District Court to copy a file for work, school work, meeting friends for coffee, meeting friends for lunch, classes, research, school work (I know I said that twice. There's a lot of school work).

Here is picture for thought I am sharing ...


Fall is on its way...

No comments: