Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Winter Soup!

I just love soup in the winter, especially when it uses up stuff in my fridge that I need to use! I just put a pot of Apple Squash soup on to cook. I adapted the recipe from Clean Food, a favorite cookbook by Terry Walters (website here)



Most of the recipes are of the vegan variety, so I adapt them to what I have on hand. In this case, I used turkey stock instead of vegetable stock, since it's been in my freezer since Thanksgiving. I also added lowfat milk instead of rice milk, and used 1 1/2 squashes (is that right?), since that's what I had in my freezer. I also used 5 apples instead of 4. I really don't think it will matter all that much, since it all gets blended together in the end!

Doesn't this look good? The specks are nutmeg. I debated tinkering some more, and adding Apple Pie Spice, since that's what I add to my mashed butternut squash at the holidays, but I decided to stick with at least one aspect of the recipe! The full recipe. Enjoy!




Soup is fun! Filling! Nutritious! And just plain yummy...

No comments: