Sunday, July 31, 2011

Food stuff!

I don't get to cook much these days, but sometimes I do get a little time to make an old favorite. This week, I had two chances, since I had a few days off to study for my final on Thursday. It was a treat!

I made my mother's macaroni and cheese casserole, with a few substitutions. I could only make it in July because I was in an air-conditioned house at the time - mine isn't, so I have to wait until the cold weather, usually. It really was a treat for me, since it's my favorite dish.


The recipe calls for elbows, but all I had in the house was spaghetti, so that's what went in. I also had a kielbasa in the fridge that needed to be cooked, so in that went, too. It was really good!

Recipe:

1 lb. macaroni elbows, boiled for half the time listed on the box
12 oz. or so sharp cheddar cheese (yellow makes a nicer contrast, but white tastes the same to me), cut into 1" cubes.
3 eggs, beaten, in a 4-cup measure; to this add enough milk to make 3 1/2 cups.
Butter - about 2 - 3 Tbsp.

Put the cooked pasta in a 2-quart casserole, and toss with the butter. Add the cheese and toss. Pour the milk mixture in, without mixing. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.

If you really want decadence, you could mix 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup of melted butter and toss that on top before baking. VERY rich, and NOT low-calorie, but oh, so good!

No comments: